I have always thought about making jewelry but most I ever did was string beads on a string, which is a great process. However, when I went to an open house weekend at the center and saw the demonstrations being done, I knew I found a place I had to be to try my hand at this craft.My heart raced and my curiosity level was at its top level! I signed up for the next session and could not wait for the first class to begin.
The first session was a project that taught us how to cut, saw, drill and bend the metal to make a bracelet linked by the metal tabs on each piece. The second class taught us how to rivet the metal together for a secure hold, also known as a "cold connection". The third project was a simple band ring, the new lesson with this was soldering. I wasn't totally comfortable with this process. I knew how to solder with an electric solder gun, but this was with gas and I was intimidated! I don't even have a gas grill because of the open flame! I was not sure of this and wondered if I could avoid using the torches and soldering, but this is a vital process and I had to take my time and do this and just take my time.
The next two projects were more rings a rolling ring that has three smaller rings inter-twined and another "puffy" ring that has two rings one over the other. The simple ring looks great, so does the rolling ring. The "puffy" ring, I keep it in my tool box so I know how much I have progressed.
The next project was setting bezels, I finished mine and have simply misplaced it. But would wear it if I found it. Then the worst project sweat soldering......oh no there is that word again.....soldering, sends chills up my spine.
This is where the first year of learning ends, I hope to have the next year of projects and my progression posted soon.
Come back and I will be posting pictures of the first year projects for you to see how I have progressed.
Thank You!
No comments:
Post a Comment